The Vue cinema chain has been fined £750,000 for safety breaches that saw a young father die when his head became trapped under a movie theatre chair.

Ateeq Rafiq, 24, suffered "catastrophic" brain injuries after he was crushed by a motorised footrest in front of his wife at Birmingham's Star City cinema.

The dad-of-one, from Aston, became trapped after searching for his keys and the equivalent of three-quarters of a tonne came down on him in March 2018.

Judge Heidi Kubik QC on Tuesday said there had been a "complete lack of a risk assessment" and it was "an accident that never should have happened".

Vue Entertainment Ltd pleaded guilty in April 2021 to failing to carry out an adequate risk assessment and failing to ensure the safety of visitors to the cinema.

Judge Kubik said: "Nothing I can say can ameliorate the loss suffered by his wife and family.

"It is conceded that clearly a number of members of the public were exposed to the same risk of harm. The complete lack of a risk assessment was a significant cause of the actual harm that resulted."

But she also accepted mitigation presented by the cinema chain and said: "It is obviously positive mitigation on behalf of this company that they have no previous convictions or matters coming before the court. They have a very positive health and safety record."

  • Newborn baby dies as hospital mix up sees him given laughing gas instead of oxygen

The prosecution was brought by Birmingham City Council, with the support of the Health and Safety Executive.

An inquest had given a verdict of accidental death after hearing the reclining chair had been missing a bar that would have allowed him to be released by hand.

The jury foreman said there had been "missed opportunities to undertake comprehensive safety checks of the chairs".

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

"If the seat had been fitted and maintained in the correct manner, Mr Rafiq would not have died," he said.

Vue was also ordered to pay £130,000 in costs.

Speaking after the sentence, councillor Philip Davis, the chair of the council's Licensing and Public Protection Committee, said: "As a result of these failings by Vue, a young man who had gone to the cinema with his wife suffered fatal injuries.

"People go to the cinema to enjoy films with friends and family, no-one should have to consider whether their safety is at risk while watching a film."

Source: Read Full Article