A beloved son aged 20 has died after downing a bottle of vodka in one go after a night with his pals, an inquest heard.

Second-year Mechanical Engineering student Mikey Cunniffe, from Wigan, was watching YouTube with his housemates when he decided to drink a dangerous quantity of alcohol then fell asleep in his friend's bed.

But just hours after, his mates noticed he had stopped breathing and that his lips had gone blue. An ambulance and paramedics arrived, but sadly Mikey was pronounced dead at the scene.

Speaking to Manchester Evening News, mum Christie described her son as "one in a million" who "loved life and also did achieve the best in everything he did.

She added: "He did MMA, salsa dancing, went to the gym, taught himself guitar. He just had this amazing lust for life.

"I still cannot believe Mikey is gone – I will always love and miss him so much."

Mikey's step-mum Amanda also gave a touching tribute, describing him as a "well mannered, intelligent young man" who was "kind and considerate and thought the world of his siblings".

  • Huge tower block fire caught on video as inferno rips through building

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

A post-mortem examination found high levels of alcohol in his blood, and the inquest ruled that acute alcohol toxicity was the cause of death.

Assistant Coroner Andrew Bridgman said: " In the early hours of October 30, 2020, Michael James Cunniffe was found in an unconscious state after a night of drinking at home with his friends…

"I extend my sympathies to Mikey’s family and his friends for their devastating loss in such circumstances."

Source: Read Full Article