A beautician has told of her heartbreak after her beloved rescue dog died from overheating following a short walk.
Laura Kyle, 32, took her three-year-old French bulldog Betty out for a walk in a field near Livingston, West Lothian at lunchtime on Thursday.
They were out with her other dog, a pug called Frank, with Scotland enjoying temperatures in the mid-20s at the time.
After Laura got home, the two dogs were given water and left together in the house, the Daily Record reports.
Tragically, Laura found Betty limp and unresponsive later in the afternoon.
She rushed her to the vets but the pooch was found to be suffering from heatstroke and her brain was badly damaged.
She was put to sleep later that day.
Devastated Laura wants Betty's sudden death to serve as a warning to other owners about walking their dog in hot weather.
She told the Record: "I was so close to her, I loved my dog so much, my dogs are the only things that keep me going.
"It's cause she was a wee rescue dog with cherry eyes, and that made me love her even more.
"I've had her for about two and a half years, and she had a few owners before me and I don't understand why because she was amazing.
"It's totally scarred me for life, she was such an amazing wee dog with so much love to give and she will be very sadly missed.
"When I first got her, I could tell she was terrified of life, she would cower away and didn't even know her name, her claws were so big she could barely walk.
To keep up to date with all the Daily Star's stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
"It's just absolutely gutting."
Laura urged other pet lovers to make sure they check on their dogs through the day while the weather is hot.
She said: "There was no warning signs at all, she jumped out the car and she was completely fine when I brought them back home.
"I had gone out and when I came back, I found her lying limp so I immediately put a wet a towel round her.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
"I phoned the vets and they said to bring her in straight away, and they put her on a drip but they said it was too late.
"It was heartbreaking.
"I loved her with all my heart, and never thought that taking her for a walk would lead to this."
Source: Read Full Article