A Nando’s waitress who had her skin melt off in a workplace accident has been awarded compensation.

Mairi Espie, 21, sued the restaurant chain after she get cleaning product on her leg and was scolded through her clothes by it.

She had been emptying cleaning detergent in a Nando’s restaurant in Nethergate, Dundee in December 2019 when she got it on her jeans.

READ MORE: BrewDog fan who won £800k bar tab chucked out of bar after buying £21k rounds

The product burned through the material and onto the skin of her right thigh.

Now healed, at the time the wound needed specialist washing treatment at A&E in Ninewells Hospital and left her out of action for a week.

She does however now have to live with permanent scarring all of which led to her suing the company.

Ms Espie added she had never been given the necessary protective equipment like a special apron or gloves.

She said instead staff were, “just kind of expected to crack on”.

Mairi says the case had little to do with money for her, telling theDaily Recordafter the settlement: "This was never about the money for me, just recognition, because at the time it felt like people didn’t believe it was that bad or anything was wrong.

For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

“But to be fair to Nando’s I think they’ve now done the right thing – they settled the case pretty quickly, the staff have been supportive and the issues that led to me getting hurt seem to have been addressed now so hopefully it means others will be safe too.

“I’m glad things are over now and I can just focus on getting on with things.”

Assisting Mairi was Simon Hammond, Partner at Digby Brown who said: “Mairi was only in contact with this industrial cleaner fluid for a short time so the extent of her burns shows you just how corrosive that substance is – and how much worse it could have been.

“We are happy to have helped Mairi get the recognition she wanted and we hope the successful end to her case sends an important reminder to employers everywhere to not be complacent on staff safety.”

The Daily Star has approached Nando’s for comment.


    • For more of the latest news from the world of the Daily Star, check out our homepage
    • Putin pal's chilling WW3 warning 'if Russia loses we are taking the whole world with us'

    • Inside story of Harry and Meghan chase from cops, snapper, bodyguard and taxi driver

    • Aliens coming to Earth will have the 'firepower to destroy us' in battle, warns expert

    • New giant super powerful solar storm could be a threat to planet Earth

    Source: Read Full Article