One person has been arrested following the death of 16-year-old Zion Purukamu at a Christchurch party on Friday night.
A youth has been charged with murder and two counts of wounding and is due to appear in the Christchurch Youth Court tomorrow.
A police spokesperson said Zion’s family had been advised of the arrest and they thanked the members of the public who had provided information to police so far.
“Operation Medbury remains an active investigation and Police still want to speak to people who were at the party when the incident occurred,” the spokesperson said.
“Anyone with information that could assist our investigation or anyone who is yet to come forward is asked to contact police on 105 and reference Operation Medbury.”
The 16-year-old died after being injured at a party in Fendalton on Saturday night.
Two other victims were also stabbed – one aged just 14 and the other 17 – and are in a serious condition in Christchurch Hospital.
Police have said the party had around 80 youths in attendance.
It was held at a house rented through Airbnb on Medbury Terrace, described as “a quiet cul-de-sac”.
Earlier today Zion’s family spoke for the first time.
“Zion’s family would like to thank the wider Christchurch community for the support and aroha they have been shown over the past few days,” they said in a statement provided by police.
“At this time, they are requesting privacy to focus their efforts on the funeral preparations.
“They would like to thank those who have come forward to share information with police and encourage anyone who is yet to come forward, to please do so.”
Source: Read Full Article