Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A mum-of-eight and her family have been left homeless after a devastating blaze tore through their house.

Lindsey Gilbert, 31, and her kids were forced to flee the property in Newton Heath, Manchester, on August 11 after a pan of food on the electrical hob caught fire.

One of her children started shouting after going into the kitchen and black smoke began filling the house.

The family are now staying in a hostel, and Lindsey’s five youngest children are living with their grandmother.

A close family friend has set up a GoFundMe page to help the family get back on their feet.

Lindsey told the Manchester Evening News: “There was a pan of oil that had been left on the stove.

"It was switched off at the wall but the stove was switched on.

"I turned it on to put a chicken in the oven but didn’t realise the stove had switched on too.

"My dad turned up at the door so I went to go and speak to him."

Five minutes later, one of her kids spotted the blaze.

Lindsey added: "Thankfully we all got out safely but we have lost everything.

  • Chef, 47, died after being 'mummified in cling film' in bizarre sex game gone wrong

"We are now staying in a hostel in Cheetham Hill.

"My five youngest children have had to go and stay with their grandma because it’s not suitable for them here.

"The kids aren’t doing well. It’s really stressful."

Lindsey said she is waiting to hear about where they will be rehomed, but said she will likely only be able to move into a two-bedroom house.

She added: "They said we could be waiting month. I am in this place and I have got no money or anything, I just need some help."

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said: "At around 7.20pm on Wednesday, August 11, three fire engines from Philips Park, Manchester Central and Hollins fire stations attended an incident on Bexley Walk, Manchester.

"The fire involved a pan of food on an electrical hob of a domestic property.

"Crews arrived quickly and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel and a positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire.

"Fire crews were on the scene for 55 minutes."

You can donate to the fundraising page here.

To keep up to date with all the latest news stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article