Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter
We have more newsletters
A bodyguard snapped driving Prince Harry and Meghan Markle was convicted of strangling his wife.
Former Met Police officer Pere Daobry, 51, strangled Sarah Jay – also a police officer – who later went on to take her own life.
Mr Daobry, whose wife claimed in court he left her “seconds away from death,” has since featured in a number of images with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, the MailOnline revealed.
READ MORE: 'Superhero' bloke's Pizza Express loyalty hack hands out £70 of discounts to strangers
On September 5 the 6ft 7ins body builder was snapped driving the royals to Euston Station from their home at Frogmore Cottage.
In September 2016, Mr Daobry was convicted at Colchester Magistrates' Court of attacking Ms Jay, who had been a sergeant for Essex Police.
She had declared she no longer loved him, leading to the attack – however, he called 999 himself and confessed to the crime, ultimately leading to him skipping jail time.
In 2019, Ms Jay committed suicide.
Following Mr Daobry’s conviction, which saw him slapped with a 12-week suspended prison sentence, Ms Jay gave a harrowing interview.
Harry and Meghan Markle 'wanted Megxit freedom compromise but Queen refused'
“I suffered at the hands of this lunatic for two years. I am devastated he isn't behind bars. He deserves to be,” she said.
“For any man to do this is terrible – for a policeman to do what he did is outrageous. He nearly killed me. All he got is a slap on the wrists. What deterrent is that for other men?”
The mother of one added: “When I met him I was a strong, confident, capable woman. I could never have imagined being a victim of domestic violence. I was terrified, isolated and had no one to turn to.
“I was only seconds away from death – that terrifies me.”
Brits handed Black Friday and Christmas warning as Royal Mail announces 19 strike days
Speaking to the MailOnline, a source said: "His wife Sarah went through a really traumatic time with him and I'm sure if Meghan and Harry knew the full story they wouldn't be at all comfortable with him being employed as their bodyguard.
"It was such a shock when I saw the picture and recognised Pere instantly".
Mr Daobry worked for the Met for 12 years and after the attack called 999 on himself saying: “I want to report an assault and I am the perpetrator. I have assaulted my wife.”
The couple were married for two years at the time of the strangling, which Mr Daobry initially denied but was later found guilty at trial.
He said he had used the chokehold, approved by police, to stop her from taking an overdose of prescribed tablets.
Explaining why his sentence was suspended, Alix Mason, chair of the bench at Colchester Magistrates' Court, said: “This was a very unpleasant assault on Mrs Jay, and she was clearly terrified.
“There is no credit for an early guilty plea. Having said that, we do take note you have no previous convictions, and you had the decency to ring 999.”
He was given 200 hours of unpaid work and a one-year restraining order, and told to pay £1,665 in compensation and court costs.
The Daily Star has contacted Archewell for comment.
For emotional support, you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, email [email protected], visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Top Russian official killed after ‘flying down staircases’ at Putin-linked institute
Moment Russia dropped world's biggest bomb – 3000x more powerful than Hiroshima
- 'Heartbreakingly sad' Prince George checks dad William is OK at Queen's funeral
- Queen's choirboy mocked on Twitter after unfortunate photo of 'big moment'
- Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton 'don't interact' and 'look other way' at Queen's funeral
- Meghan Markle
- Prince Harry
Source: Read Full Article