Elaine Hall was on the road out of Colorado Springs within an hour of learning her son was missing on the other side of the state on Nov. 19, 2012.

During the six-hour drive to La Plata County, she tried calling 13-year-old Dylan Redwine, and texted with his father, Mark Redwine. She called law enforcement and phoned friends, growing increasingly frantic as the hours wore on without any sign of Dylan.

At 6:35 p.m., two hours after learning he was missing, she texted Dylan’s father, who is now on trial, charged with second-degree murder and child abuse in Dylan’s death.

“He wouldn’t just leave,” she wrote. “He would have called me. I am so suspect of you right now. How could he just disappear?”

Hall cried as she testified in her ex-husband’s murder trial Wednesday, becoming emotional when she saw photos of her son smiling with his friends the day before he left the Front Range for a court-ordered trip to visit his father in Vallecito for the Thanksgiving holiday. She cried again when Redwine’s defense attorney pulled Dylan’s clothing, pillow and other belongings out of an evidence bag — items she’d given to law enforcement in the hope that dogs would be able to track her son’s scent.

In painstaking detail on the stand Wednesday, Hall recounted sending Dylan to his father’s house, learning he was missing and racing to La Plata County.

She took Dylan to the Colorado Springs airport and walked him to his gate to fly to Durango on the afternoon of Nov. 18, 2012.

“He was boarding his plane, he was walking away… I said, ‘Oh, you’re too old to give your mom a hug?’ And he came back and gave me a hug,” she said, dabbing her eyes with a tissue. It was the last time she’d see her son alive.

Just over 24 hours later, Redwine texted Hall to tell her he hadn’t heard from Dylan for several hours. He told her he’d just visited the U.S. Marshal’s Office in Bayfield to report Dylan missing, but when Hall called the office, they had no record of Redwine’s report, according to a recording of Hall’s call played in court.

Hall testified that the trip to La Plata County — her husband and son came along — was a blur.

“I was frantic,” she said. “It was so surreal. You don’t expect anything like this to happen to you. I figured he was safe because he was with his dad, and I was devastated that no one knew where my son was.”

When she arrived in Bayfield around 2 a.m., she went straight to the marshal’s office, then to a friend’s house. She didn’t sleep, she said. She texted Redwine around 11 p.m. but he didn’t answer.

At 2:35 a.m. she texted her son.

“Dylan please be safe. Mom is here to come get you son.”

Hall’s testimony is expected to continue Wednesday afternoon.

Source: Read Full Article