A bloke has been jailed after he was spotted trying to rape a man before "raining" punches down on him in a brutal attack.

Connor Farren-Bell, 25, met the victim in Alkrington Woods, Manchester, on July 17 last year.

Manchester Crown Court heard how Farren-Bell approached the man on a park bench. They chatted for a while before buying a bottle of vodka from a local shop and drinking it, reports Manchester Evening News.

READ MORE: Brit diver mysteriously found dead on Thailand's infamous 'Death Island'

Witnesses described the victim as looking "insensible" and "incapacitated" after the vodka was consumed.

As two people, out on an evening walk, went past Farren-Bell and the man, they saw Farren-Bell stood up directly in front of the man engaging in a sex act.

He was said to be "thrusting" while the man appeared unresponsive.

Opening the case, prosecutor Daniel Calder said: “The witnesses coughed loud to alert him and noticed the victim had slumped to the left side of the defendant. They then heard him shouting aggressively, saying: 'If you were a woman.'

“The couple walked on and could hear the defendant shouting as they made their way round.”

He said this later manifested into the violent assault. The victim, who’s last memory of the incident was drinking from the bottle, said his next memory was walking away from the bench before he was punched by Farren-Bell, knocking him to the floor.

During the attack Farren-Bell, who had ridden his bike to the park, used the bicycle to "pin" the man to the floor. He was later found huddled by the entrance to the park, bleeding and confused.

Farren-Bell then returned to the park and walked past the victim, who shouted: “That’s him.” When the witnesses told him what they had seen he said “oh no, he hasn’t done that to me”, and vomited.

After a couple of days he was taken to hospital where he was found with extensive bruising and cuts to his body. Farren-Bell was arrested after his phone was found at the scene, and initially denied the attack in his police interview.

He has since pleaded guilty to attempted rape and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. On Friday (January 20) he was jailed for seven years and eight months, with an extended period of four years on licence.

He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders' Register for life.

In a victim personal statement read to the court, the man said he has experienced anxiety and suicidal thoughts. He said he felt "ashamed and embarrassed" and has since had his sexuality questioned.

He added he has a hard time trusting people and lost a year of his life because of the court proceedings.

Mitigating, David Bruce said it was a "tragic case". He said no force was used to engage in the sex act and that his client had not deliberately used drink or drugs.

“This isn’t a situation where there was violence used in order to facilitate the sexual abuse,” Mr Bruce said.

“It’s clear he has accepted a degree of responsibility, though he had very little recollection. He has expressed remorse.”

Sentencing, Judge Timothy Smith said: “The witnesses and his family said he was incapacitated and rendered insensible. There is no indication you were responsible for that, but you were responsible for taking advantage of him in that situation.

“This was sustained, prolonged and you were out of control. He was fortunate to not have received more serious injuries.”

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

READ NEXT:

  • 'Dangerous individuals' with matching man buns jailed for SPAR armed robbery

  • Cops watched porn on-duty and patrolled clubs for women to seduce, says whistleblower

  • Father and son left plane passenger with 'horrendous injuries' in row over seat position

Source: Read Full Article