'No special rules for Novak Djokovic' says Australian PM
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Adding to the many voices hitting out at the tennis superstar, 34, Australian television presenter Lisa Wilkinson, 62, unleashed her fury just hours before Mr Djokovic’s visa was cancelled. The presenter, who currently is a host of Network 10 news-current affairs and talk show The Project, said the tennis star “lacked grace” before border forces announced he had not met entry rules and is set to be deported.
Speaking on The Project, Ms Wilkinson said: “I think everyone knows someone who’s really suffered through Covid, if not many, many, many people.
“We know people who’ve lost loved ones, who weren’t there to say goodbye to them.
“And in the end, people are just sick of superstars being given special treatment.
“And that’s the category this has fallen into.
READ MORE: Novak Djokovic backed by ‘whole of Serbia’ as Australia blasted
“And it probably didn’t help, Novak, that you were lacking a bit of grace in your announcement of the whole thing.
“It was all a bit, ‘Let’s go!’”
Mr Djokovic was held in Melbourne’s airport for several hours before receiving news his visa has been cancelled.
According to reports, he has now been taken to a government detention hotel prior to his departure on an outbound flight.
Djokovic’s coach posts from Australia as Serb grilled by security [UPDATE]
Novak Djokovic ‘guarded by police’ as Serb’s dad speaks out on chaos [INSIGHT]
Novak Djokovic ‘isolated’ and ‘not allowed to use mobile phone’ [REVEAL]
The famed tennis star has been outspoken about Covid jabs in the past and has said he was “opposed to vaccination”.
However, he has not commented on his vaccination status.
Tennis Australia confirmed a medical exemption had been granted for Mr Djokovic “following a rigorous review process involving two separate independent panels”, but this proved to be an issue when the player arrived in the city from Dubai on Wednesday.
In a statement, the Australian Border Force said the 34-year-old “failed to provide appropriate evidence to meet the entry requirements to Australia, and his visa has been subsequently cancelled.”
It continued: “Non-citizens who do not hold a valid visa on entry or who have had their visa cancelled will be detained and removed from Australia.”
Source: Read Full Article