Families have been left fearing for their lives after they discovered their kids were listed among nearly 40 names included in a "death notebook" carried around by a fellow pupil.
Parents have shared their concerns after it was revealed that a student had allegedly written that he wanted to kill his classmates at Trussville high school in Alabama, USA.
Officials have since reported that at least three members of staff knew about his kill list almost a year ago, however, they failed to report it.
READ MORE Bloke with bizarre tattoos wanted by police – and people are all saying the same thing
The bombshell revelation came out after investigators looked into a recent threat that the student planned to “do harm at the school.”
Parents slammed the school for its "mismanagement" against the threat during a Trussville City Council meeting on Tuesday ( September 27 ).
One mum said: “Our lives have been turned upside down.
“Every time that there is a loud noise … we are in terror in our house,” she said. “We don’t sleep, we’ve had no rest.”
A father criticised the system and said both the city and the school have a “moral obligation to keep our children safe.”
“The next time you gather with parents and students, you don’t want it to be at a funeral,” he said.
It has been revealed that the notebook featured a total of 37 classmates that he reportedly wanted to kill.
He was charged with a felony, however, the case was dropped in line with an Alabama law on terroristic threats.
Authorities have chosen not to identify him as he is a juvenile, reports AL.com.
'I battered my abusive dad with a hammer to save mum – and I would do it again'
Police confirmed that his case is no longer pending and said he is under counselling and currently at another school.
Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Mayor Buddy Choat said: “We dodged a bullet. I truly mean that.
“We dodged a situation that we wouldn’t need to have this meeting today if it had been handled properly.”
A spokesman representing some of the parents has called for a change in policies and said the student code of conduct threat assessment protocol “must include law enforcement.”
He demanded that the council makes the school board take action against the student before he returns from 20 days in alternative education.
“If that child returns to that school, my child will not return. I will not risk my child’s life,” a parent added.
City Councilor Lisa Bright said: “I do feel like you are owed an apology for the lack of communication…I want you to know that we all realise that communication has got to be direct, has got to be immediate."
According to an email sent out to parents this week, the school's Principal Tim Salem is now on administrative leave.
A teacher at the school said many of her co-workers are in agreement with the parents and also believes that the principal was a scapegoat.
She claimed that there is a text circulating among staff, requesting for district workers to call in sick on Wednesday in protest.
She said: “I don’t care if I get fired tomorrow, but at some point, I have to stand up.
“I’ll be one of those staff calling in sick tomorrow."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here .
Source: Read Full Article