Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

An undercover TV researcher who brutally tortured and murdered a father-of-two has been jailed for at least 24 years over the horrific killing.

Christopher Guest More, 43, brutally tortured victim Brian Waters by suspending him from the rafters and beating him before dunking him in barrels of liquid.

He was also burned with melting plastic, had staple guns used on his bodies and were assaulted with a metal bar.

More had been branded Europe's most wanted man before his arrest, but was convicted on Thursday more than 18 years after the evil killing of Mr Waters, 44, at a cannabis farm.

The murder took place on June 19, 2003, at Burnt House Farm in Tabley, Cheshire, close to junction 19 of the M6.

Chester Crown Court heard how More hung cannabis dealer Mr Waters by his ankles and brutally tortured him in front of his son and daughter. His wife Julie was abducted from their family home and driven to the farm.

Suleman Razak, a farm worker, was also subjected to torture but managed to come out of the ordeal alive.

Both men endured a gruelling four-hour ordeal, suspended from rafters and beaten before being dunked in barrels of liquid, the court heard.

They were also burned with melting plastic, had staple guns used on their bodies and were assaulted with a metal bar.

Police arrived at the scene following a call made from a phone box. Among other things, they found a bag of faeces which had traces of More's DNA.

He was convicted for the murder of Mr Waters and for conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm to Mr Razak, having been arrested in Malta in 2019 where he was living under the alias Andrew Lamb.

James Raven, who did television work with More, and Otis Matthews have also been convicted for the murder at earlier trials.

In early 2020, More was extradited back to the UK and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

A previous jury failed to reach a verdict but on Thursday, after 12 hours and 12 minutes of deliberations, he was found guilty by jurors.

The researcher claimed that he befriended drug dealer John Wilson, another man already convicted of the murder, because he thought he could sell a story on him being a police informant.

He thought he might lead him to a cannabis farm which he could film for a Dispatches documentary.

Mr Waters was growing cannabis at the farm and owed Wilson a drugs debt of £20,000, the court heard.

When giving evidence More claimed that he had gone to the farm that morning to steal cannabis equipment.

He said he left when he had an argument with Raven and realised Wilson, who was not at the scene, had discovered he was working undercover.

More then left the country for Spain two days later and, after travelling to South Africa, Mozambique and Turkey, eventually settled in Malta.

A post-mortem recorded Mr Waters' cause of death as multiple injuries including fractured ribs, a broken nose and breastbone, a bleed on the brain, bruising to the heart, strangulation and burns from a "caustic substance".

A statement from his family read: "What happened at Burnt House Farm on 19 June 2003 has had a significant and long-lasting effect on our family.

"We will never be able to forget events of that day and, even now, more than 18 years down the line, we feel the pain on a daily basis with constant flashbacks.

"We have remained a close-knit family and have provided much-needed support to each other – but this has been an isolating experience for us and not only have we lived in fear of reprisals we have also struggled to trust others as we normally would.

"We have been living like that for more than 18 years."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

  • Cannabis
  • Drugs
  • Murder
  • Courts
  • Prison News

Source: Read Full Article