Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

On this day (July 7) in 2005, London was rocked by the deadliest suicide attack in history on UK soil which left 52 people dead and more than 700 people injured.

Between 8:47am and 9:49am, four terrorists detonated suicide bombs across the capital aiming to kill as many innocent people as they could.

The four bombers deliberately targeted London's transport system in an effort to maximise the devastation of their payloads.

READ MORE: Sandstorm from hell sent doomed plane into flames as it smashed into rocks on landing

Three bombs were detonated at Tube stations during the peak of rush hour, and less than an hour later as the city reeled from the chaos – another was deployed on a double-decker bus in the heart of the city.

Now 17 years on, the Daily Star looks back on exactly what happened on that harrowing summer's day.

The monsters responsible for the atrocity were bombers Mohammed Sidique Khan, 30, Shehzad Tanweer, 22, Hasib Hussain, 18, and Jermaine Lindsay, 19.

Based out of Leeds, the men were radicalised from a young age and plotted their attack meticulously, even going as far as to purchase ice from supermarkets to cool their bombs en-route to the capital.

Early in the morning on July 7, Khan, Tanweer and Hussain left Leeds in a rented car and drove down to Luton where they met Lindsay.

They then boarded the early train to London, arriving at Kings Cross station at 8:23am.

Once the men had arrived, they separated, with three of them boarding separate trains on different Underground lines.

Khan took a westbound Circle Line train heading towards Paddington, whereas Tanweer took an eastbound Circle Line service towards Liverpool Street.

Lindsay, meanwhile, boarded a southbound Piccadilly Line service.

At 8:49 am, the three men's bombs went off while they were on the Tubes, catching countless innocents in the crossfire.

Khan's bomb was deployed at Edgware Road station while he sat close to the double doors, killing six Londoners.

Tanweer's device was detonated while his train was in the tunnel between Liverpool Street and Aldgate.

The bomb went off with such power it killed seven people with one bystander being blinded by Tanweers shinbone in the blast.

The most deadly of the Tube blasts occurred on the packed Piccadilly Line at Russell Square where Lindsay's bomb killed 26 people.

One survivor Paul Glennerster lost a limb in the pandemonium, which he picked up and took with him.

Other survivors ran to the help of others, treating wounds with items of clothing and sanitary towels.

Less than an hour later, while the city was still reeling from the attacks, the cowardly bombers played their final hands.

Hussain had boarded a double-decker bus after leaving Kings Cross and at 9:47am detonated his payload from the top deck in Tavistock Square.

The explosion ripped through the bus killing 13 people located next to and below him.

The explosion happened beside the headquarters of the British Medical Association, where a conference was being held.

In the aftermath, dozens of doctors ran from the building and began to administer care to those who were injured.

By the end of the day, 52 Londoners had lost their lives.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.


  • Sandstorm from hell sent doomed plane into flames as it smashed into rocks on landing
  • Deadly and dangerous viral web crazes – from face peeling off to two-year frostbite

  • Driver oblivious to dead body stuck to roof of car after she mowed him down

  • Aussie influencer accused of sex with 14-year-old boy 'four times in 24 hours'

  • Terror

Source: Read Full Article