The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Quebec has climbed to 219 and 24 people are now hospitalized due to the virus, including 13 people in intensive care.
The Quebec government announced the additional 38 confirmed novel coronavirus cases on Sunday and corrected the number of COVID-19 deaths in the province to 4. Officials previously said there were 5 coronavirus deaths in Quebec.
Health officials said the individual was believed to have been infected but was not. The person’s test came back negative after their death.
Premier François Legault did confirm that the 4 confirmed COVID-19 deaths were of people who lived in the same seniors’ residence.
As of Sunday, there are 2,000 people under investigation waiting for their results and 9,700 test results have come back negative.
There is still only one confirmed full recovery in the province, a person who tested negative twice after having been infected. Quebec’s public health director Dr. Horacio Arruda however said he believes there are many more individuals who have recovered.
The Quebec government reiterated that its health care system is ready to handle an influx of patients, as it has over 4,500 hospital beds ready to treat COVID-19 patients across the province.
It also reiterated that the increase in numbers was expected, as the province is rapidly increasing the number of tests it is administering.
Schools to remain closed until May
The government confirmed that all elementary and high schools across the province will remain closed until May 1 and all Cegeps and universities will resume their semesters online.
Hydro-Quebec announces new measures
Hydro-Quebec announced on its website on Sunday that it will be suspending its actions against unpaid bills.
“Due to the many consequences of the COVID-19 crisis in Canada, we’re conscious of the fact that some of our clients may face financial challenges in the coming weeks,” indicated the website.
The provider said it will cease cutting off power to those unable to pay their electricity bills — residential or business.
Hydro is asking Quebecers who are having financial difficulties to make arrangements by calling their customer service line.
In addition, it announced that there will no longer be service interruptions, as they will only conduct work on the power system if absolutely necessary.
Source: Read Full Article