The death of a teenager who fell through the roof of an abandoned warehouse has been called a 'tragic accident'.

14-year-old Mason Scott fell 30ft through the building on March 23 earlier this year in Coventry.

The 'fun-loving' teen, who enjoyed gaming, was with four others – one who was only 12 – who visited the derelict building on the corner of Torrington Avenue and Templar Avenue.

Some had visited the abandoned site the previous day and decided to return in the early evening of March 23 after school.

The inquest into his death at Coventry Council House heard how what began as fun ended in tragedy, writes CoventryLive.

Coroner Delroy Henry heard how the boys managed to find their way onto the roof through a window in an upstairs bathroom and spent 45 minutes to an hour up there.

They were 'chilling', listening to music and chatting.

However, the boys became concerned over possible police presence and thought there was a police helicopter overhead.

In an attempt to make their way down, Mason is thought to have jumped or tripped on a section that was made from perspex-type material.

  • Haunting photo taken moments before dad fell 200ft and ended up in coma

He fell through and landed on concrete floor approximately 30ft below.

The boys ran to his aid and smashed through a locked door in a bid to get to him, with one of them calling 999.

After falling, Mason was conscious, breathing, and trying to speak to his friends.

One of them said: "He was saying, 'just give me ten minutes'."

Police arrived outside the building after receiving reports of people on the roof.

  • Disabled couple 'furious' after theme park 'tells them to leave due to guide dog'

An ambulance descended onto the scene and Mason was treated, before being taken to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire.

The teen was treated for traumatic cardiac arrest, and his heart was restarted but was described as being "very weak", the court was told.

Sadly, he was later pronounced dead.

Dr Imohen Virgo's written evidence was read out at the hearing: “The decision from the team was that everything possible had been done to reverse the cause of traumatic cardiac arrest and anything further would be futile.”

Mason's cause of death was noted as "multiple traumatic injuries" and he suffered "significant blunt force injuries to internal organs".

Mum Gail Scott told the coroner she had returned from taking his sister to work to find he was not home.

She realised something had happened when she went to collect his sister who was on her mobile phone.

They arrived at the scene and were met with a cordon, although she tried to run through it, police stopped her.

Speaking about Mason, she said: “He was a really kind big brother, little brother and cousin.

“He was at home most of the time and rarely went out. He was a gamer and loved dogs.”

Coroner Henry recorded Mason's death as an accident, before telling his family: "Remember him for who he was as a person and how he lived.

“They sometimes say how the brightest lights burn too he quickly and he was.”

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article