Join the Secret Elves to get first access to our exclusive reviews of the must-have products this year.
A speeding teenage joyrider killed a grandad who had nipped out to buy a tin of beans.
Rexon Rebidelmo, 19, was four times over the speed limit when his car slammed into the driver side of 81-year-old Charles Burcombe’s car just days before Christmas.
Mr Burcombe, a market trader, had his 12-year-old grandson in the front passenger seat but took the full brunt of the crash and died at the scene.
Jailing him for five years and three months at a young offender’s institute, Judge Rajeev Shetty told Rebidelmo his driving on December 20, 2019, was “arrogant and stupid”.
He admitted death by dangerous driving, driving while uninsured and driving without a licence.
In a statement, Mr Burcombe’s daughter Sophie said the accident was “unnecessary and pointless”, and the judge added: “They are plain words but nonetheless powerful.
“There is no better description of what happened on that day. Your actions have left an already vulnerable family broken and desolate.
“You were using the car as if it was a toy and as if the road was your playground.”
Kingston Crown Court heard Rebidelmo, of Mitcham, London, was told he could wait in a friend’s new courtesy car with the keys in the ignition until he had finished work and could take them to Nando's.
Princess Diana's bodyguard says Sandringham was 'purgatory' after Spencer film release
But Rebidelmo – who had only recently turned 17 and failed a driving theory test in October – decided to drive off in the car with another friend.
Prosecutor Hamish Common told the court a black box on the Seat Leon recorded Rebidelmo had been driving on residential streets in Tooting, south London, at speeds of up to 50mph.
Just before he collided into Mr Burcombe’s Vauxhall Astra, Rebidelmo overtook a car on Streatham Road, with the driver commenting it felt like he was driving at “90 to 100mph”.
Mr Burcombe was pulling out of a side road when Rebidelmo smashed into him.
Huge fire breaks out at Walkers crisp factory as emergency crews scrambled
After the crash, Rebidelmo is said to have “done nothing” to help Mr Burcombe or his grandson – and told witnesses he had only been driving at 40mph.
When police arrived he told an officer he had been driving at 25mph, and also lied about his age – telling them he was 18.
This unravelled when his mother arrived at hospital and confirmed he was underage.
The judge said: “At the hospital you were smirking when interacting with staff and trying to make jokes and appeared to be more concerned with calling friends than with what had happened.”
In a victim personal statement, Ms Burcombe said: “My dad was the kindest and most caring person you could hope to meet, who would not hurt a fly.
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
"He would always be there for me and the boys, acting as a father figure and a role model. My son has suffered terribly since the incident, his grandad was somebody he idolised. They were always out together.
“He watched his grandad dead next to him – he knew he was dead as soon as he looked at him. To witness someone die who you cared and loved must have been unbearable for him and will be with him forever.
“The accident swept us all off of our feet, turning our lives upside down again and removing the pillar of our family.
Source: Read Full Article