A man who broke into Buckingham Palace has claimed that he “didn't know” that he had ended up in one of the world's most famous sites.

Cameron Kalani, 44, was found trespassing inside the grounds carrying a kitchen knife and a wrap of cocaine.

Security was alerted to his presence at 4.30am on May 10 after he set off a security alarm outside the home of Her Majesty The Queen.

Westminster Magistrates Court heard this week how he was spotted trying to climb over a fence on the Royal Mews.

He claimed at the time at he was “confused” and “didn’t know where he was or what was happening”, before guards searched him and found the drugs and blade.

Alexander Alawode, prosecuting, said: “The defendant was seen by a security marshal in Buckingham Palace Road trying to climb over the fence and trespass.

“He climbed over the fence into the Royal Mews and then back onto Buckingham Palace Road.

“Concerned by this breach of security, the guard officers detained the defendant outside the steps a short while later.

“The defendant appeared to be confused, not knowing where he was or what was happening.

“His bag was searched and items were found in it. He could have been under the influence of substances at the time.

“Following this incident a mental health report was served which on 21 September confirmed he has paranoid schizophrenia.”

Natasha Lake, mitigating for the confused trespasser, confirmed that Mr Kalana accepted a guilty plea for the incident, but confirmed that he still maintains he “didn’t know or suspect the site in question was Buckingham Palace”.

The case has been adjourned until December 16, as a pre-sentence and psychiatric report can be prepared – as this could affect the sentence he is given.

Kalani was released on unconditional bail after admitting trespassing, carrying an offensive weapon and being in possession of a controlled substance.

For the latest breaking news and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article