Douglas Ross: People are 'furious' about Downing Street party
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
A growing number of Tories have lashed out at the Prime Minister amid fresh allegations he attended a rule-breaking drinks party in Downing Street during the first national lockdown. The news has drawn fury from MPs and other prominent Conservative figures, while former No 10 chief of staff Lord Barwell ridiculed the PM on social media – suggesting it would not take an investigation for Boris Johnson to figure out if he had been part of the gathering. Douglas Ross has since spoken out in anger against Mr Johnson.
Speaking to Sky News, Mr Ross said: “People are furious, I’m furious. People across Scotland and the UK are furious.
“This email went out to over 100 people inviting them to a party when no one else was allowed to do that.
“In fact, the Government guidance was very clear at that time.
“You could only meet up with one other person from another household.
“So I can understand the fury, anger, and rage that people across the UK are feeling right now following this revelation.”
Asked if he has confidence in Mr Johnson, he added: “If he’s followed the guidance that his Government set for everybody else then yes but if he’s not.
“If he has breached his own guidance, not been truthful then that is an extremely important issue.
“I’ve said previously that if the Prime Minister has misled Parliament then he must resign.”
Boris Johnson slammed for 'smirking' over party by Rayner
Police are in contact with the Cabinet Office over the claims, which came to a head on Monday night.
It has been alleged that a senior aide to Mr Johnson organised a “bring your own booze” event in the garden behind No 10 on May 20, 2020.
Martin Reynolds, the Prime Minister’s principal private secretary, sent an email to more than 100 Downing Street employees inviting them to the evening gathering, ITV reported.
Mr Reynolds said they should “make the most of the lovely weather”, despite England being under tough coronavirus restrictions banning groups from meeting socially outdoors when the message was sent.
The allegations are being examined by senior official Sue Gray as part of her investigation into claims of lockdown-busting parties in Whitehall and Downing Street.
Britons urge Truss to abandon £15bn EU project [INSIGHT]
Boris Johnson exit: Growing discontent in Tory party could see PM exit [ANALYSIS]
‘It’s wrong!’ German health chief explodes at Boris on Covid [VIDEO]
Robbie Moore, Conservative MP for Keighley, said he was incensed by the leaked email.
He told the Telegraph & Argus: “The email from Martin Reynolds infuriates me. As I have previously made clear, I am deeply angered by the thought of any illegal gatherings, parties or social events which took place at Downing Street whilst the rest of the country was in lockdown and following the rules.
“The whole country has sacrificed so much during the pandemic and many are quite rightly furious.
“Investigations into these events at Downing Street during lockdown are ongoing, but answers are needed quickly.
“If any event took place that was in breach of the rules, the strongest disciplinary action must be taken, and I will continue to follow any revelations on this closely.”
Source: Read Full Article