The Ontario government announced it will be lowering the threshold on its new colour-coded COVID-19 restrictions system as coronavirus cases surge, bringing Hamilton as well as the regions of Halton and York into the red zone with Toronto and Peel Region.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford made the announcement alongside Health Minister Christine Elliott and the province’s chief medical officer of health Dr. David Williams during a news conference at Queen’s Park on Friday.

“Everyone has a role to play … we need to continue to fight … please don’t lose hope,” Ford said. “Never has so much depended on us coming together as a people, a province. Together we can and we will get through this.”

Elliott said the following public health regions would move to the orange level: Durham, Brant, Eastern, Niagara, Ottawa, Waterloo, Wellington-Dufferin, and Guelph.

Haldimand, Huron Perth, Middlesex-London, Simcoe, Southwestern, Windsor-Essex will move to the yellow level.

All units will move to the new levels at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, however, Toronto moves to the red level as of 12:01 a.m. Saturday. Elliott said all those living in a red zone should only leave home for essentials.

Last week, Ontario originally released the new colour-coded system that classifies regions depending on the presence of the virus.

Ontario reported 1,396 new cases of coronavirus on Friday: 440 new cases were recorded in Toronto, 440 in Peel Region, 155 in York Region and 55 in Halton Region.

All other public health units in Ontario reported under 50 new cases.

There are 452 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 106 in intensive care, and 67 on ventilators.

As of Friday, Ontario has reported a total of 91,180 coronavirus cases and 3,312 deaths since the pandemic began in March.


Source: Read Full Article